Adults £3.00 Children (under 16) free
At Coultershaw you can:
- Watch the waterwheel drive the Beam Pump to produce an impressive water spout.
- Learn how the Beam Pump was installed in 1782 to pump water to Petworth House and town, 1 ½ miles to the north.
- See the Archimedes screw turbine using water to generate electricity.
- Visit the Engine House, and try pumping water with the hand pumps.
- Walk around the canal basin to see the remains of the 18th century lock, canal warehouses and stables.
- Look out for the wide variety of wildlife and you may see fish climbing the fish ladder!
- Explore the site using our FREE family nature trail.
View our short film of the site titled ‘A Bridge Just Right’ It features footage taken during the new bridge structure being rebuilt after the heavy flooding of Winter 2014.
Pre-booked groups of all ages and interests are welcome, including on days when the site is not normally open. A relevant introductory talk can be provided in the Warehouse, together with drinks and biscuits if required.
Contact the curator for details and to book
A programme of activities for schools and educational groups is offered. The heated Warehouse with toilets provides a space for indoor activities and talks.
For learning enquiries and bookings, contact us
Coultershaw Wharf and Beam Pump
|Coultershaw Bridge, Petworth GU28 0JE, UK||Directions|
The Coultershaw Trust aims to provide a high standard of customer care to all our visitors. While great care is taken to ensure that all our services are provided efficiently, courteously, and to a high standard, we accept that complaints will be made. If you have complaint please see our complaint policy.