What is Coultershaw?
Coultershaw is located in the South Downs National Park, with a waterwheel, historic waterpump, a state-of-the-art 21st century water turbine, and historic buildings around the mill pond. There’s lots to do:
- Watch the waterwheel power an 18th century beam pump to produce an impressive fountain.
- Learn how the pump was installed in 1782 to pump water to Petworth House and town, 1½ miles to the north.
- See the 21st century Archimedes screw turbine using water to generate electricity– the only one on public view in the South East.
- Try pumping water with the hand pumps in the Engine House.
- Walk around the mill pond at the Scheduled Ancient Monument to see the canal warehouses and stables.
- Experience the wide variety of wildlife and you may see fish climbing the fish ladder!
Hands-on is very good; I loved the hand pumps and tried them all